Saturday, May 28, 2011

On Networking Part Two.

So I've been calling and calling around to English majors that went to my college back in the day to see if any of them have suggestions about what a flounder like me should be doing with my life. And in doing so I've realized the following.

1) NETWORK. Every successful person has--to some degree--been a serial networker. Now, if you're like me, and you still struggle to express even basic things in casual conversation, this sounds disheartening. But it is what it is. We are social creatures. Time to stop browsing listings on Craigslist and start being social. But it's equally frustrating, because...

2) Most people aren't exactly sure how they got where they are. "I took this job, talked to this other guy, one thing led to another, we started a business together." It might as well have been a drunken hookup. I don't know how much humility or memory loss plays in how people tell these stories, but it's frustrating that people can't\don't disclose their strategies for success. Chiefly because I'd love to use their experiences and wisdom to my advantage. But I suppose I shouldn't expect such a thing. Especially when the whole premise of "networking" is to reap the success of another by proxy. Right, right. And to "expand your contact list to the mutual benefit of all."

Alex and I 'networking' (i.e. trying not to get arrested) with the Christian radicals outside Ft. Benning, GA, 2009.

3) Place your flag FIRSTMost people seem to think that you should move somewhere after you've secured a job. I was surprised to learn that many people swear by the opposite: that you should first find somewhere you've always wanted to live, buy a plane ticket, put a deposit down on an apartment, and work your way into the local community (take small jobs, seek out friends/family/alumni, join clubs, "network" and other vague social strategies.) I like this approach namely because it makes me feel less like a fool for wanting to move to CA next year because I want to learn how to surf.



Tisk tisk, boys.

4) The only failure is giving up. If you keep putting yourself out there, something will happen. Probably the theme I heard the most and easily the one I'll be keeping close to me in the dry months to come. In order to keep my sanity since I came back from working abroad, I've had to think of this job search as a game of numbers. If I put myself out there 1000 times and 1 prospect opens up, that should be considered a success. Even if its only a temporary one. As frustrating as that might be in the moment, its the long term attitude I must adopt. Again and again and again. Say it in the shower. Say it on the bike ride to work. Say it as you're watching the numbers dwindling in your savings account. It's a tough one, especially when I consider the $20,000 student loan (with interest!) bearing its teeth at me for a sacrifice every month. As Robert Greene said, you have to respect the process. Nothing worthwhile happens automatically.  

Let's just hope the government doesn't seize all my assets before then...

2 comments:

  1. Sad but true. All my best jobs have come from networking to get the interview. Once you get to the interview, your actual skills come into play much more. You're on the right track calling other English majors though!

    ps- I am thrilled the blog is back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true, its all about who you know. Keep making those connections and never stop talking and meeting people and you'll fall right into place somewhere! miss you sean! how's home without me?

    ReplyDelete